Throughout his golf career, John has had a passion for learning the mechanics of the golf swing. He spent countless days on the driving range and golf course as a competitive golfer perfecting his swing. As a result, he learned what it takes to improve and compete at the highest levels of competition.
As a junior golfer, John did not begin to solely focus on golf until he reached high school. After just one year of practice and hard work, he was playing in the State tournament and AJGA national tournaments. He won multiple tournaments including his District championship. His senior year his high school team won the 5A State Championship, and he earned a golf scholarship to Southern Methodist University.
During his four year career at SMU, John was coached by top instructor Hank Haney. He learned about short game, course management, and tournament preparation from his college coach. John played in 40 tournaments while at SMU, including some of the biggest national college tournaments. He was able to compete with many of the players who are now on the PGA Tour, including Charles Howell, Ryan Palmer, Charley Hoffman and Adam Scott.
Upon graduating from SMU, John turned professional. He played professionally for five years on numerous tours around the country including the Gateway Tour, Adams Tour and Golden Bear Tour. He has competed in the PGA Tour Qualifying School four times, qualified to play in four Tour Championships and won multiple professional tournaments, including on the Gateway Professional Tour.
During his years as a competitive golfer, John also had the good fortune to learn from top instructor Chuck Cook. His time spent with Cook has been a big influence on his game, and now his coaching. Over the last ten years, John has been able to incorporate what he learned as a student of the game into his coaching. Now, with over 16,000 lessons under his belt, John has developed a well rounded approach to coaching golfers. Through his coaching, thousands of golfers have been able to reach their goals and shoot their career rounds. His students have won District tournaments, Varsity tournaments, PGA junior tournaments, U.S. Kids tournamnets, Club championships and earned Division 1 Golf Scholarships.
- Shot 62 five times
- Played in 1999 U.S. Amateur
- Part of 5A State Championship team (All-State 4 years)
- SMU college golfer (co-captain Sr. year)
- Winner of multiple professional tournaments
- Shot 29 for nine holes
- Taught over 23,000 lessons
- PGA Director of Instruction at GOLFTEC
- TPI Level 3 Certified Golf Instructor
- U.S. Kids Certified Instructor
- GOLFTEC Certified Instructor
- 2012, 2013 and 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018 and 2019 Outstanding Achievement in Instruction
- 9 years of experience with Hank Haney and Chuck Cook
- Led clinics for GOLFTEC, AT&T, EWGA and Golfsmith
- Junior golfers have won PGA, U.S. Kids, District and Varsity titles
- Junior Golfers have earned Division 1 Golf Scholarships